Friday, June 13, 2008

day of departure

It is 8:47 a.m. on Friday, June 13th. I'm sitting at gate B2 of the Rochester Airport. So far, today has gone smoothly.
Continental allows each passenger to check one bag up to 50 lbs for free. Checking a second bag costs $25. Since I am going away for a long time, I needed to check two bags, but keeping them each under 50 lbs was quite the challenge. I have spent the past week folding, organizing, sorting, and space-bagging my clothes (you vaccuum out all of the air from a plastic bag filled with clothes to shrink the size). After weighing each item on a bathroom scale before packing it, I was able to take exactly what I thought I needed, no more, no less.
I checked my bags, and each weighed exactly 49.5 pounds. When this showed up on the airport scale, I jumped up and down and said "wahoo!" and the Continental attendant at the check-in counter probably thinks I'm retarded. What can I say, I was very excited that my packing strategy worked! I made it through the security checkpoint without any problems- so far, so good.
Earlier, three security guards approached me to comment on my laptop- they were amazed that laptops are made this small.
There is a lady in the row of chairs behind me who has made 4 or 5 calls from her cell phone, and had the exact same conversation each time. She told every single person "I got a bagel at McDonalds, but I cannot for the life of me get the butter out of the little container because I can't fit the knife in it!"
I don't know what it is about airports that makes people use their cell phones so much. Maybe it's because there's nothing else to do while they wait, or maybe it's because they have to go a whole 2 hours on the plane without using it. Either way, I might just go over to her and butter her freakin' bagel for her.

It's now 9:10. The flight leaves at 9:40, so we should start boarding at 9:20.
The only problem is that the plane isn't here yet.
My connecting flight at Newark leaves at 11:40, so hopefully I should still have time to make the flight even if there's a minor delay. I realized I forgot to wear my lucky airplane socks. Every time I've worn them, my flights have all left on time, and vice versa.
Oh well. Let's hope that the airline industry is having a good day regardless of my socks.

I'll post again sometime tomorrow.