Sunday, June 15, 2008

Loonies and Toonies

Part 1- Friday, June 13th

5:00 p.m.

I just took of from Montreal. Yes, you read that correctly.

It turns out the travel gods are indeed not in my favor. I should have worn my lucky airplane socks!

As I boarded the flight in Rochester, it started storming out. The plane then got delayed because they cannot fuel it until after the storm is 5 miles past the airport.,

We took off from Rochester at about 10:10. For a 47 minute flight, I should have gotten into Newark right before 11. Our flight actually got in around 11:10.

My connection didn’t leave until 11:40 so I thought I would be able to make the flight without a problem. However, it seemed that it was employee training day at Continental in Newark. When the plane arrived at the gate, it took the people at least 7 minutes to diddle around with the jetway. We were at gate C88. My connection left from A26. So, I had to RUN from gate C88 to C1, were the airport shuttle leaves from. Mind you, my backpack weighs about 20 lbs, and my overhead bag weighs about 30. I never pack this much but I’m going away for a long time so I had to utilize all the space I could. I got to the shuttle waiting area, and had to wait 5 minutes for the next shuttle. It took about 5 minutes to get to terminal A. When we arrived at terminal A, I BOLTED to gate A 26 and got there at exactly 11:31. The door to the jetway was open. The lady at the check in counter said that there were no empty seats on the plane, they had given my seat to someone on standby because I wasn’t there soon enough.

I was absolutely thrilled.

So, I went to the continental customer service desk, and waited in line for about 20 minutes. I was fuming, but managed to sweet-talk her into getting me to Halifax somehow. At this point, it was close to 12:00. She said “you’re going to montreal, they’re boarding in 5 minutes”. So, I did MORE running. Luckily, the flight left from terminal A so I didn’t have to take the shuttle again.

Anyways, I ran up to the montreal flight and after showing my passport, got right on. It left Newark at 12:30 and got into Montreal at 2. It was right on time.

Anyways, I got to the montreal airport. We arrived at the international terminal and I walked probably 1/3 of a mile-not exaggerating- through the airport. I didn’t know you had to go through customs at your first point of entry instead of your final destination. First, I had to go through customs. That took about 10 minutes. Then, the guy sent me to immigration. At 2:30 I finally got called up to the immigration desk. Once cleared, I was told to go re-claim my baggage at the baggage claim.

Apparently, when you connect flights in a different country, you have to claim your bags and then re-check them, they do not automatically go onto your next flight.

So, off to the baggage claim I went. At this point, pretty much all the bags from my flight had been claimed, and I did not see mine. I checked at the Continental service desk and the guy told me that the computer said my bags had gone directly to Halifax. Funny. The airport people can unload a plane full of bags, sort them, and get them all on the right planes in time, but I can’t get on the plane because of that damn shuttle.

Anyways- once I established that my checked bags were indeed not in Montreal, I had to proceeed to the connecting flights desk. I was pretty confused with the whole airline re-checking in process. U.S. airports make it possible for someone with an I.Q. of 6 to find their way around. Canada involves a lot more guesswork. Anyways, at the connecting flights desk a very nice woman told me how to get to the departing flights. I had to walk about another ¼ mile, outside, and go back in, still carrying 50 lbs of crap. So I got to the Canadian security checkpoint at about 2:55. In the US, you are allowed to take whatever liquids you can fit into a quart-sized ziplock bag. In Canada, the bag size is about half that. A lady at the Canadian security checkpoint went through my bag of liquids and we had to take out about half the stuff in order to fit it into the smaller bag. At this point, I didn’t really care, I just wanted to catch my flight, so I was unable to take a few travel-sized items that didn’t fit. I was explaining my situation to her, and she was very sympathetic. Moreover, a few people in the line in front of me had overheard me, and they all let me go in front of them!! This brings me to another point- Canada has the nicest people ever. I started talking to some random people in the security checkpoint line. Then I went to take off my shoes since that’s what you have to do in the U.S. (you don’t have to do this in Canada) and they all started laughing at me!!! So, there I was, shoeless in a line full of laughing Canadians. Anyways, I made it through the checkpoint and got to my gate- A1- thank GOD somewhere I didn’t have to walk far to! At this point in the day, I really, really, really needed coffee. I went to the Starbucks right in front of me- and what do you know- the entire menu is in FRENCH. However, every employee I encountered at the airport spoke both French and English although French is the primary language there. So, I got my coffee and all was well in the world.

I FINALLY got on a plane going to Halifax!! Woohoo!! So, I boarded the plane and have a middle seat. The man on one side of me is asleep and snoring. And, mom and dad, before you flip out and think “ahh why would she write that in public? That man could see what she’s writing!”, I assure that this guy is sound asleep- I don’t even think a tornado would wake him. I am not trying to be mean but this guy is seriously 350 lbs. I have never been so close to so many chins on the same person. I am both disgusted and slightly intrigued. Watching him snore is like watching a jell-o commercial.

But, I don’t even care. The point is that I’m getting to Halifax sometime today. I would have flown in cargo to get there if I had to.

The announcements on the plane were all in French. I’m sure it’s the same old stuff they say on U.S. flights, but it was kind of funny to hear.

The airplane itself is pretty snazzy- there is a little TV thing on the back of every seat along with an outlet to plug in laptops- yay!!

About to land in Halifax so I have to shut off my laptop but I’ll update when I get a chance.

Part 2- Sunday, July 15th, 10:00 a.m.

It’s Sunday morning. I am supposed to board the ship in 45 minutes, but they just announced that there is no line to board right now so I might go sooner. Just wanted to say that my luggage was in Halifax, I took a cab to the hotel, and already met 40 or 50 really nice kids. Halifax is a very pretty town, albeit extremely windy. I was surprised at how young the city was. It is a very maritime town and looks like something out of the 1800’s.

The $1 and $2 denominations of the Canadian dollar are called Loonies and Toonies and every time I hear it I start cracking up.

Well, I can’t write much more since I have to get on the boat soon. I’ll probably post in a week or so- I have nine days across the Atlantic before we get to Norway.

-Lisa